Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Hangover

Love, love, LOVE this movie.

Imagine "Memento," then subtract subtlety and seriousness, then add a lost groom, three still drunk, kinda drugged buddies of the groom, a really hot Heather Graham, a dash of Mike Tyson and a gallon of hilarity, cussing, random shit and that funny guy from the Apatow movies, and you've got "The Hangover."

This was a legitimate adult comedy and I loved the filmmakers for it. I was happy that Justin Bartha wasn't in it more, because if he's not a sidekick and talking really fast then I don't care. Bradley Cooper was well cast, and held it together as the one trying to stay cool and not get too worried about having lost one of the boys.

But for me the real comedy came with Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis, the latter I doubt that any of what he said was actually scripted. I firmly believe he's just THAT funny. Plus, just how he looks in this film is enough to laugh hysterically.

I loved Ed Helms though, as this guy who is completely tramping down his personality for a woman who treats him like shit. And, even though I HATED her, Rachael Harris was fantastic as that bitch of a girlfriend. I liked that as the movie went on his balls grew more and more until finally, at the end he does what he should have done all along. (How many guys I'm sure were wishing they had an opportunity to go back and say that shit to an ex or two.)

I loved that we as an audience were in exactly the same position as the characters, having to search and try and find our way through a crazy, drunken, drugged orgy of a night in order to figure out where in the hell we lost our best friend.

Mike Tyson's cameo was fan-fucking-tastic and I actually can't imagine the movie without him. The security camera footage of them stealing his tiger was choice, and singing "In the Air Tonight?" Priceless. The ER doctor who helps them along the way was amazing, the whole "It's on the corner of fuck off and get a map," had me doubled over. Ken Jeong as Mr. Leslie Chow who talks like Eminem and wears Prince heals and stole the wrong Doug? Pitch perfect.

The bottom line of this movie is about friendship of course, but the madness along the way is what gets you through the corny shit. Children tasing grown men in the nuts, a teacher stealing his kids' field trip money for Vegas, a father-in-law saying it's ok to miss your wedding if you're on a heater at the tables, etc. If you are an adult (who doesn't take offense easily) you must go see this movie. If for nothing else, sit through it for the memory card of photos at the end.

Trust me.