Saturday, June 26, 2010

Capsule Reviews: Get Him to the Greek, Jonah Hex


So, I was debating about doing fuller reviews for both these films, which I was lucky enough to see in the same day...I'll let you decide how that exactly came about *wink*. However, I think a capsule is more appropriate for both seeing as how they aren't really that overly stimulating in terms of plot.

Get Him to the Greek: I really have to say that Russell Brand carries this movie for me. Jonah does a great job playing the same basic character model we've seen in most of his other films, but Brand was not only hysterically funny in this, he also showed some decent chops in terms of the slightly more dramatic themes the film threw into the third act. P-Diddy was actually kind of great as a bit player and very much so reminded me of Tom Cruise's now iconic Les Grossman from Tropic Thunder. I would say the biggest surprise for me was Rose Byrne's turn as former-junkie popstar Jackie Q, Brand's ex and baby-mama...or is she? I find Byrne is staggerly gorgeous in everything she does and she really has some comedic timing in this film. I feel like it would be appropriate to say if you've seen "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" you've seen this film, as the general plot construction is nearly identical, but I still think this film is well worth it if you like the genre. A great many stars have funny little cameos and in general the film has an abundance of brilliant jokes and a nice serving of good intentions and uplifting ideals. If you want a fun time at the movies, this film definitely fits the bill.

Jonah Hex: First of all, this movie is quick, like ABC Family original movie quick. So, do NOT see it unless you get an under-$6 ticket price. Despite this fact, and perhaps because of it and the absolutely shit reviews this film had, I had NO expectations going into it. I think that helped my overall take on the film, because truthfully, I enjoyed it. The base-plot reminded me heavily of Ghost Rider from a few years back, however I would pick Hex over Ghost Rider any day and I OWN Ghost Rider. Josh Brolin and John Malkovich carry the film, though Will Arnett, Aiden Quinn, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and a barely recognizable Michael Fassbender add a nice layer of depth to the film. Generally it's a good-guy-does-right-thing-pays-for-it-only-lives-for-vengeance type story, but it has elements of comedy and fairly decent action. Also, Megan Fox is GOOD in this movie. She doesn't have a lot of screen time, but I really found her worthwhile despite the limited ground she had to cover. If you enjoy action and/or vengeance movies you will enjoy this flick. It's worth it JUST for the guns and the wicked nation-killer weapon.