Friday, May 15, 2009

Pick of the Week: 16 Blocks

In times like these the value of a good DVD collection comes out in full. I'm sure that if I hadn't spent money buying DVDs over the years I might have been able to afford cable. But, seeing as I am of a persuasion that allows me to watch movies that I love over and over again, I find owning, rather than chancing television, a better way for me to go. Plus, if there is a week here and there when I can't afford to go out to the movies (even at the fantastic Century 25 in Orange which has early bird showings for $6.00!) it's always nice to have an outlet to go to where I know I can find something I want to watch.

Now, we've all seen Bruce Willis be a cop. He's like the Rocky of cop thrillers. We KNOW he's gonna win in the end, but we're still worried about him and pulling for him the whole time.

However, in "16 Blocks" Bruce is a slightly different kind of beast. In this he is rightfully unsung, in fact, even three-quarters through the movie we still aren't really sure (a) if he's even a good guy and (b) if he's gonna get the job done. Both seem doubtful. He's tortured, bleak, and in a way, just going through the motions waiting for it all to be done already. Enter Mos Def, in what I consider to be a flat out brilliant performance as a petty thief who happens to be a witness to some right blue line nastiness. Over the tumultuous 16 block journey these men find strength in each other and a commonality of soul which inspires each to do what is right, not only for themselves, but for the other person as well.

David Morse (who is wonderful when he's good and even better when he's bad) co-stars as the baddie on their tail, forcing them into corners where escape seems nearly impossible. Even though the plot is somewhat predictable, it's remarkably believable. Scenes are taut and there's almost no excess in dialogue. Plus, for all it's darkness and undermining of police and what they do it's uplifting in it's own right. People make good on their promises; people finally do the right thing after years of looking the other way. It's a film that reminds us nothing is set in stone; we always have choices, and that, on rare occasions, people CAN change.